Saturday, December 16, 2006

Happy Holidays

I'm trying to not be political here, but I just can't stop myself from pointing out irony.

Certain conservatives (who claim to be Christian, but do little to deserve the title) are apparently upset yet again this year that those of other faiths might not like the greeting "Merry Christmas."

To crystalize their cause, they have launched a war on the greeting "Happy Holidays."

So, a group that believes that other groups should suck it up and accept their holiday greeting (because this is America!) are very upset that other people would use a different holiday greeting. How rude to try to impose your holiday greeting on others! Hmmm....

Can't we just pick our own holiday greetings? I thought it was fun in college to wish my Jewish boss a Happy Hanukkah and my Wikkan coworker a Happy Winter Solstice. They responded in kind, wishing me a Merry Christmas.

But then, I don't think religion is the right issue to treat peoply poorly over. And my best friend from high school (a Muslim) was the person who started our Christmas gift exchange (her family celebrates Christmas as both a secular American holiday and a day to remember Jesus, who is, for them, a prophet of Islam).

3 Comments:

At 09:41, Blogger Syl said...

I take offense to any Holiday greeting. Damn things just mean spending more money on gifts people won't like and getting gifts that my husband wants for himself (ahem Jeff?). We should just go around grunting at people all through Christmas. C'mon, let's start a new holiday custom.

 
At 20:06, Blogger Camie Vog said...

Did you just say something?

Have a wonderful time entertaining your family.

 
At 20:41, Blogger Camie Vog said...

Happy New Year to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home