Sunday, September 24, 2006

No love for (or from) the DMV

The coolest thing about my new home (at least in my mind) is that it's a swing state. Which means that, unless the Secretary of State does something off kilter, my vote might actually mean something.

Now, Ohio claims that I was supposed to switch my license & registration over as soon as I accepted a job here (last November) or took up a residence (last July). They also require that I have a copy of my title, which took over 6 weeks for me to obtain from the state of Michigan.

Since the sky wasn't falling, my motivation to go to the DMV was pretty low. I do, however, need to register to vote at least 30 days prior to the election, which means the end of next week.

I decided that Friday morning would be the day. When I reviewed the requirements online, I realized that I needed my social security card (it was at home - far from work & the DMV location that provided written driving exams). My passport (in my car) would not suffice, in spite of the fact that 1) I needed a soc card & a birth certificate to get it and 2) it actually has a photo & would be much harder to fake than a soc card. Whatever. We don't approve of travel in this here state. And, you can use your pilot's license instead! Your boating license! Grrrr.

But I still wanted to get this done, so I drove home from work to fetch my card. Then, I drove to the DMV and, without study, bs-ed my way though the written test & passes. Happily walking to the other room (past the sign endorsing one political candidate for governor, thanks to some "pro-family" agency renting space next door) to get my shiny new license & registration.

I was immeadiately informed (along with a room of 25-35 sad, degected looking souls) that the system was down. For the entire state of Ohio. No idea when it would be back up. *You should all go home.*

Having been warned by a coworker that she has NEVER accomplished her goal with one trip to the DMV, I burst out laughing and walked to my car. I giggled for about half a mile, then used some of the Panera gift cards that I won from the United Way (I won 2 contests - one for showing up at the department fundraising kickoff meeting & another for pledging in the first week) to get myself some free lunch.

I lost 2 hours of my work day and about 2 gallons of gas (but I stayed late & worked through lunch to make up a bit of the time). No license, no vehicle registration, no voter registration.

I'll try again on Monday. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

At 18:28, Blogger srah said...

I changed my registration about six months ago and also got sent all around town (including the Social Security office because I'd lost mine). Then I finally went to get my license a couple of weeks ago and AGAIN I forgot to bring my stupid SS card and had to drive home this time (30 minutes each way). I think you only have to have the car registered in the state to vote, though, because I got a notification card in the mail a couple of weeks ago that said I had to show ID, which could include out-of-state valid licenses.

 
At 20:07, Blogger Amy said...

I got everything taken care of Monday morning at the mason bmv. No line & nice enough staff. Now, I just need to go to the dealership to get the plates attached (the front of my car doesn't have the holes) and wait for my voter registration card to arrive.

Sadly, they took away my MI license. The Ohio one is okay, but I actually kind of liked the picture on my Michigan one. Meanies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home