Saturday, June 03, 2006

Sleepy in Cincy

I made it to my new home city today. After 1) 4.5 hours of sleep (combination of partying and a late night call from my sister) 2) leaving about 3 hours after I planned and 3) hitting my one (and only) traffic jam as soon as I got on the highway in Ann Arbor.

My real estate agent showed me the state of my condo first (it doesn't have walls, but should still be finished in time to keep my interest rate - cross your fingers). BTW, if you are buying a rehabed condo, seeing the insides of the ancient walls is not pretty. Then, we looked at the unit in my building where I was going to stay until it was finished. After about 10 minutes, my agent decided (without any protests from me) that I should stay in a hotel instead. Most of the lights in the unit either didn't work, or had no switches, there was no place to put the windo A/C, and the footprints of the last person to enter looked like the ones you see in museums telling you where to go. So I will be in a hotel for a few days, then hopefully I will move to a another of my builder's complexes on my street, with units renovated four years ago (rather than before I was born).

I'm okay with this arrangement, except for two things. I did not pack to stay in a hotel. I have no idea where my toothbrush is, and I had to carry in baskets of my clothes. Tomorrow, in daylight, I will try to make sense of the mass of stuff (which I would have just carried in and sorted in doors had earlier plans worked out) in the hotel parking lot. Also, I now feel even less settled than I thought I would. I'm not only in temporary accomodations, I'm in temporary accomodations awaiting my move into the second set of temporary accomodations. And, I will likely have to do my next move after my first or second day of work. Arrrg.

At least I know my way around town. And I know that I have a nice boss, a good job, and friendly coworkers. So I'm actually pretty lucky. Mostly, right now, I just feel tired....

6 Comments:

At 23:30, Blogger Noor said...

yuck! I really hate that unsettled feeling. But it is only temporary for a few weeks and by then, you'll be in your very own place!

 
At 09:44, Blogger Amy said...

I just hope it's done in time - the no walls thing is really freaking me out!

 
At 10:58, Blogger Ron said...

Well, you've got a 'home' for now! Didn't even say goodbye to me, terrible!
I'm crushed! ;-)


You've got plenty of time to write on the blog, at least...

 
At 16:36, Blogger srah said...

When do you start work? I still don't have an extra bed but I have a couch!

 
At 18:51, Blogger Syl said...

I think there's nothing worse than having your own place but not being able to move in.

 
At 17:30, Blogger Amy said...

thanks for the words of support/offer of couch, guys :) i'm in the extendastay now, and i got to go to my office today, so all that is good stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home