Friday, September 19, 2008

hurricane fun

From my sister in Houston, TX on Monday: 

Hey everyone-
 
Well physically, I am no worse for wear from the hurricane. Emotionally and spiritually - a little beat up. My apt still has no power or water, so I am now coordinating my baseball caps with my polos, jeans and work boots I will be wearing to work for at least probably the next two weeks. I am looking hot. =) Good news no damage to my home and belongings and my business suits get to go unworn for the interim.
 
The office building I manage lost its roof from the wind and opened up two giant holes that acted as sieves into the building dumping what we estimate to be 10 inches of rain early Sat morning during the hurricane. The winds were still at 90-100mph when they hit the area. I was there at 3pm and we had a restoration crew in Sat afternoon by 5pm to start the cleanup process, but they had no way of securing the roof at that time. We proceeded to then get 5-6 additional inches of rain starting at approx 4am and lasting until 8am, making all of the work on Sat for naught. I got to the building at 6am and was stranded there because the streets had then flooded. We have full loss on the top three floors of the building and minor damage on all of the floors below where the water ran down the stairwells. We will have to completely gut those areas and start fresh. Good news - I have always hated the carpet in my office and now will get to chose new stuff myself. Yay.
 
I hope my Houston people have faired as well, if not better, and perhaps even get a little paid time off from the storm. I am working like a fool. LOL
 
For all of my non Houston people - keep the area in our thoughts because there are a lot of people in desperate situations and FEMA has been acting very Katrina like with their crew of dunces and refusal to give straight answers. We can have a war in two entirely different countries and they cannot help out people in the 4th biggest city in the US. Where are all those oil revenues from Houston going?? Don't they want us to be able to keep pumping out the liquid gold?
 
Off my soapbox. Oooo I miss soap and showers. =( Maybe today??
 
Love (My big sister)

(Update: Laurie has finally showered. Yeah!) 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home